Friday, January 4, 2013

New Year's Project


To ring in the new year, I decided to sew. I was going to be sensible and finish off a project...but as I dug through fabric and batting, I came across a jelly roll that I'd forgotten about.


And I wanted to do something fiddly with it, so I chopped the entire thing into 2-1/2" squares and started pinwheeling. And pinwheeling. And pinwheeling. Nothing like going all out!


It wasn't entirely random. I organized the fabrics by colour and by pattern. Then I came up with a handy-dandy chart to make sure I got as many different combinations going as possible. I figured I'd use the extra bits in a border of some kind.


There will be enough pinwheels to arrange them in a 12 x 12 square, with a few left over. Which is good, because there are one or two in there that don't deserve to see the light of day. Let's just call them learning experiences and leave it at that.


And the learning continues. It's easier to sew into a fat seam than to start on it. Clunking noises mean stop the presses. The start/stop button is faaabulous for chain piecing. The machine likes to pull a bit to the left when it starts up.


I'm thinking this one will need sashing (is that the term?) between the pinwheels. I want it to be fun , and maybe even busy, but not crazy/overwhelming. Whaddaya think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a message! I read and appreciate every single one. (To keep this blog a friendly, positive place, I will delete any comments with personal attacks or objectionable content.)